COVID-19 vaccination and testing policies, protocols and information for the Stephens College community.
Free vaccination clinic on campus
Thursday, Sept. 2, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in the Kimball Ballroom of Lela Raney Wood Hall
- A team from Boone Health will provide the Pfizer vaccine, the only vaccine fully approved by the FDA.
- Appointments are not necessary, but please sign up.
- A follow-up clinic will be held on Tuesday, Sept. 28, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in the LRW Ballroom.
Frequently Asked Questions For Students
Can I have guests on campus? What if I test positive for COVID? And more.
Frequently Asked Questions For Employees
Is vaccination required by Stephens? Will I get paid time off to get vaccinated? And more.
Stephens Health Portal
All Stephens students and employees are required to upload vaccination documentation or weekly tests to the Health Portal.
Resources for the Stephens Community
Vaccine safety information, health care and counseling for students, benefits of the Employee Assistance Program, and more.
Letter from President Lynch | Aug. 10, 2021
Dear Stephens Community,
As we prepare for a new academic year, we look forward to providing our students with a full Stephens College experience: in-person classes, exciting social activities, and community gatherings on a vibrant, active and healthy campus. A fully vaccinated community is the safest environment in which to teach, learn, work and socialize — to “learn, grow, lead.” That’s why Stephens strongly urges you to be vaccinated — for your own health and for the health of those around you.
Please review this summary of the College’s related policies and processes as the new academic year begins. The College will continue to provide you with more detail in the form of FAQs posted to the Stephens College website (see below for links), and through campus emails. Failure to comply with these policies and protocols will be considered a violation of the Student Code of Conduct or the College’s employment policies, and will be addressed as such.
These policies take effect for all students and employees as of Aug. 16, 2021. (Coaches and Student Development staff will work directly with students who arrive on campus prior to that date to assist them in complying.) We will also continue to monitor current and changing conditions in our community and will make adjustments as appropriate, consistent with CDC guidelines and local and state health directives.
Vaccination status and requirements
Stephens College will not require vaccinations at this time. Even so, our goal is to become the safest and healthiest campus in the country, with 90 percent of our community — students, faculty, and staff — fully vaccinated. To encourage all of you to help us reach that goal, we’ll be holding a series of drawings for some great prizes, ranging from cash to gift cards and catered dinners for you and your friends. Everyone who uploads their vaccination card will automatically be entered in every drawing from that point on.
If you have not been vaccinated:
- You will be required to be tested weekly, either at a local pharmacy or clinic, or on campus at a regularly scheduled testing event. Tests administered at home will not meet this requirement. Results of those tests must be uploaded weekly to the Stephens Health Portal.
- You will be required to quarantine for up to two weeks if you are exposed to someone who has tested positive.
- You will be required to wear a mask at all times indoors and at outdoor gatherings when social distancing is not possible, with limited exceptions (see below).
- Given the significantly increased likelihood of serious illness for those who are not protected by the vaccine, unvaccinated students who test positive for COVID will be required to return home to isolate if at all possible.
If you have been vaccinated:
- You will need to upload an image of your vaccination card to the Stephens Health Portal. (We encourage you to take a picture of your card — front and back — with your phone so you have it with you at all times.) This will allow us to develop an accurate understanding of the vaccination rates on campus and to effectively safeguard our community’s health and well-being.
- You will not be required to quarantine if you are exposed to someone with COVID unless you begin to exhibit symptoms. You will be required to be tested within 3 to 5 days of the exposure, and to isolate if you test positive.
The College will sponsor free vaccination clinics on campus in September in partnership with Boone Health.
- All faculty, staff, students and visitors are required to wear a mask in all indoor classrooms and meeting rooms at all times. (Meeting rooms are defined as any indoor spaces in which more than two people gather and cannot socially distance.)
- Vaccinated faculty, staff, students and visitors are not required to wear a mask in other campus spaces, though they are encouraged to do so.
- Unvaccinated faculty, staff, students and visitors are required to wear a mask in all indoor locations at all times, with the following limited exceptions:
- When you are alone in a workspace. This may include an office with a closed door or a cubicle that provides barriers between you and others
- When you are eating or drinking and are socially distancing
- When you are with your suitemates in your living space
Classrooms and Instruction
Stephens is determined to return to in-person classes if conditions allow. To ensure the safety and health of our students and faculty, all individuals in all indoor classrooms will be required to wear masks at all times.
Additionally, classrooms will be organized to:
- Provide at least six feet of space between the instructor and students
- Provide at least three feet of space between students
- Where possible, provide some socially distanced student seating spaced six feet apart
If health conditions require the College to return to online instruction, students will be required to choose a single delivery system/learning experience (in-seat or online) for the remainder of the term.
In light of the highly contagious and virulent nature of the COVID-19 Delta variant, all residential students will be required to live in single residence-hall rooms, but will be charged the double-room rate. Students who have already paid the single-room fee will be reimbursed for that additional fee. The Office of Student Development will be in touch with details.
Students arriving on campus:
Prior to arrival on campus, vaccinated students will be required to upload vaccination cards to the Stephens Health Portal.
Unvaccinated students will be required to be tested within 72 hours prior to their arrival on campus and to provide proof of a negative test upon check-in.
Students who have not completed this requirement will be administered a rapid COVID test at check-in prior to move-in. If that test is positive, students will be required to isolate.
These policies apply to all members of the Stephens College community, though some programs — including our MFA program in Los Angeles, our athletics programs, our Children’s School, the stables, and our Physician Assistant program, among others — may establish additional requirements and policies specific to their disciplines and environments.
I am confident that we will navigate these challenges and frustrations with the same energy, resilience and commitment to our community’s well-being that have allowed our campus to experience such low rates of COVID over the past 18 months. Difficult as it is to recognize that the pandemic is not over, we face the future armed with experience, wisdom and — most important of all — an effective and widely available vaccine. I urge you to join us in our determination to make Stephens the safest campus in the nation; working together, I believe that’s a goal within our reach.
Dr. Dianne Lynch
President, Stephens College