Where art meets opportunity.
Actors, dancers, vocalists, stage managers, costume and set designers, theatre technicians: The world of performing arts is full of potential for those ready to change the world through arts and entertainment. Follow your passion as you work alongside professional faculty and guest artists who are ready to help you achieve your dreams. Complete your Bachelor of Fine Arts in just three years, two summers, or earn a certificate from our Professional Conservatory Theatre Program in two years, two summers.
As a student in the School of Performing Arts or a conservatory student, you’ll have opportunities to act, dance, choreograph and produce performances throughout the school year. Theatre students expand their body of work at the Summer Theatre Institute on campus and at Okoboji Summer Theatre, our stock theatre company in Spirit Lake, Iowa. Dance students learn and perform as part of Stephens Summer Dance.
Industry Trends and Recognition
- The Stephens College theatre program is ranked #11 in the country by The Princeton Review
- A report from the RAND Corporation, a research organization, shows the number of Americans attending live performances is on the rise
- Performing arts career growth is expected to continue, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Earn your degree in just three years, two summers
- Build an impressive body of work with performance opportunities throughout the school year as well as during our intensive summer programs
- Work with nationally and internationally recognized guest artists like award-winning choreographer Jeremy McQueen and professional dancer Jill Echo or alumnae such as Stephanie Beatriz, star of the FOX hit “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” and award-winning actress Annie Potts
- Enjoy a mentorship-apprentice environment, working alongside our professional faculty
- Explore all aspects of performance, including box office management, set design and technical theatre
- Explore the world of children’s theatre and theatre for young adults through TRYPS Institute, a year-round children’s theatre company on campus
- Learn from international artists and professionals in our Intersections Series, which has brought guests such as performer Mirenka Cechova, cellist Nancy Jo Snider and casting director Kimberly Skyrme to campus
- Stephens School of Performing Arts hosts all-star lineup for Summer Theatre Institute 2016
- Collaboration brings to the stage stories of women who embraced the arts to survive
- School of Performing Arts hosts high school students for an Afternoon with the Bard
- Dates and preliminary line up set for Stephens Summer Dance
- Award-winning playwright to headline performance at Diversity Week event
- Broadway star, Tony Award nominee speaks to theatre majors
- Trio performs at Dallas Country Club
- Collins accepted into Alvin Ailey summer intensive program in New York
- Veteran actor, Stephens alumnus hosts casting workshop for students
- Seniors to showcase signature dances at October concert