Stephens College and Boone Hospital Center are pleased to announce that the Stephens College+Boone Hospital Nursing program will begin enrolling future nursing professionals for the 2020-2021 academic year.
The two local leaders announced a partnership to develop a nursing program in January of this year. Since that time, the College has worked to finalize curriculum and receive all appropriate approvals for the program. With the June 15, 2020, approval by the accrediting body, the Higher Learning Commission, the College can move forward with enrolling students for Fall 2020.
“We’re excited to be able to start introducing future nursing professionals to the Stephens College program this fall,” said Founding Director of Nursing Dr. Noreen Houck. “Our inaugural class will join a program focused on providing students with clinical and patient experiences starting in their first year.
“Through our relationship with Boone Hospital Center, the program will provide the full spectrum of public health and hospital experiences. This will ensure our students will graduate well prepared and highly motivated to make a difference immediately in our local communities.”
“We want to thank our partners at Boone Hospital Center for their vision and dedication in helping us create an immersive educational experience for our students,” said Stephens College President Dianne Lynch. “We look forward to having our students learning in a hospital known for its commitment to nursing quality as evidenced by its Magnet hospital designation.”
“With their experiential approach to education, Stephens is the perfect partner for a nursing program that is focused on early clinical experiences,” said President of Boone Hospital Center Jim Sinek. “This is a great example of two local institutions coming together with an innovative approach to moving health care education forward and mitigating the regional nursing shortage.”
“Our two teams have worked together to create a highly immersive nursing experience,” said Monica Smith, Vice President of Patient Services and Chief Nursing Officer of Boone Hospital Center. “We look forward to meeting the first class of Stephens+Boone nursing students.”
About the Stephens College Nursing Program
- Stephens offers the only direct-entry program in the region — that means students enroll as freshmen and do not need to reapply to the program.
- Students receive early access to clinical experiences; they begin taking nursing courses starting from their first year.
- Curriculum is designed for students to complete the program in 3 years + 2 summers.
- Graduates will earn a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Stephens College.
- The program features small classes taught by Stephens College nursing faculty as well as opportunities to learn from and gain clinical experiences working with Boone Hospital Center nurses.
- Boone Hospital Center will feature an on-site simulation lab; this state-of-the-art lab provides a safe environment for developing early clinical and decision-making skills.
Those interested in applying to the program should contact the Stephens College Office of Admissions at (573) 876-7207 or [email protected].
Program highlights, requirements and application process details are available at stephens.edu/nursing.
About Boone Hospital Center
Boone Hospital Center is a 392-bed, full-service hospital located in Columbia, Missouri. It is a regional referral center located in the center of the state. The hospital provides progressive health care programs, services and technology to residents in 25 mid-Missouri counties. Boone Hospital Center was named the top hospital in mid-Missouri by U.S. News & World Report from 2015-2019 and is designated as a Magnet® Hospital for Nursing Excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
About Stephens College
Driven by a mission to Learn. Grow. Lead., Stephens College has created groundbreaking educational opportunities for students from mid-Missouri and around the world since 1833. The College has built a foundation for the 21st century with its commitment to experiential learning, expanded degrees in the health sciences and creative arts, and targeted investment in programs leading to high-demand careers that serve and enrich communities. Stephens is an established leader in undergraduate women’s education and a longtime innovator in providing flexible, co-educational master’s degrees and certificates for working professionals. Learn more about Stephens College at stephens.edu.
Stephens College does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, national/ethnic origin, marital or veteran status, or disability in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarships and loans, and other College-administered programs.
The program will be hosting a series of webinars for any prospective students interested in the program. Webinars will be hosted by Founding Director of Nursing Noreen Houck. The first webinar will be held Tuesday, June 23, at 6 p.m. Central.
- Tuesday, June 23, 6 p.m. Central — Register at: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcsc-yhqT0sG9HuF7zRfxSt7UjToicUTBVC
- Wednesday, June 24, 12 p.m. Central — Register at: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAudOytrDgtGtbD9jEbE5VMeYT126xpQpt1
- Thursday, June 25, 7 p.m. Central — Register at: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAucuyprDIvH90mxuy-QthLgwMAw8KSNgT2
- Saturday, June 27, 12 p.m. Central — Register at: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIldu6orDkiHtK-pZcFERj_uurNaYOk0bTb
After registering, participants will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.