Student Success Center
The Student Success Center announces one part-time position (ten hours weekly) for a liberal arts/science and math tutor beginning Spring Semester 2013. The Center seeks a professional who can be a self-directed member of the team and provide tutoring to residential undergraduate students. Scheduling availability is as important as expertise. The tutor will be expected to complete an online training module by midterm of the first semester.
One Position for a Liberal Arts/Science and Math Tutor (10 hours weekly)
- Master’s degree in a related field preferred but will consider an applicant with a high level of academic achievement with a bachelor’s degree, also in a related field
- Teaching experience preferred, high school or college
- Working knowledge of biology, chemistry, and physics at the collegiate level
- Ability to help students develop quantitative skills (algebra, personal finance, statistics)
- Demonstrated ability to write well
- Demonstrated experience (preferred) in assisting students (individually or in small groups) with introductory writing assignments/projects in liberal arts courses or in specific majors such as business, fashion, and education
- Knowledge of formatting styles, particularly MLA and APA
- Exam proctoring as needed
- Support for technological literacy—encourage use of databases and evaluation of web sources.
- Presentation of at least one workshop (announced in advance) during each semester
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding records and information
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.