Stephens College is seeking a full-time Stable Manager to provide supervision to employees, manage general care of horses with communication from string managers and maintain stable grounds and equipment. This position requires management experience, a high level of organizational skills and an excellent knowledge of different breeds and disciplines and their needs. Must be adaptable to ever changing situations with students, faculty and our horses. The stable manager requires a leadership quality that works with many different personalities.
- Maintain grounds, stable pastures, and paddocks area.
- Supervise stable employees and student workers, set daily and weekly work schedules and keep work records. Hire and train new stable employees.
- Supervise and assist with feeding, stall cleaning, cleaning of water buckets and feed bunks.
- Be a resource as needed for string managers for general care of school and boarding horses.
- Assist with ordering and keeping inventory of feed and supplies.
- Coordinate with Equestrian Operations Director on updating staff and faculty on programs, projects, safety and procedures.
- Communicate with equestrian faculty about preparation of all facility events and be available to oversee each event including weekends.
- Manage manure disposal.
- Work and communicate daily with string managers about general care of school, horses boarded, and insure dietary requirements are being fulfilled in all horses.
- Work with the Equestrian Coordinator as necessary with the vet calls and to maintain health records.
- On call for emergency after-hours calls and new horse arrival after hours.
- Maintain and operate all stable equipment with scheduled regular maintenance communicated to faculty and staff.
- Develop and maintain a teamwork relationship with staff, faculty and students.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS Degree in equine science, animal science, business or a closely related degree or equivalent experience required.
- 2-5 years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to train employees for maximum performance.
- Ability to operate various types of farm and facilities equipment, including equipment necessary to maintain the teaching arena.
dability to manage an operation that requires round the clock 24/7 coverage.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems unsupervised to get the job done.
- Demonstrated ability to set and maintain an operating schedule that covers all functions of an equestrian facility.
- Ability to hook up and pull a 4 horse gooseneck trailer
- Valid drivers license required meeting the Stephens College Acceptable Driver Qualifications.
- Masters Degree in equine science, animal science, or a closely related degree
- 2-5 years of Equine Facilities management.
- Ability to do basic facilities repair (fence repair, stall repair, etc.).
- Ability to do basic farm equipment maintenance (service equipment, fan belts, lubrication, etc.).
- Experience in coordinating/handling projects of complex nature.
Stephens College offers excellent benefits, including vacation/holiday/sick pay, health/dental/life insurance, tuition waiver and College-paid retirement plan.
EOE A diverse community on campus is valued.