Costume Shop Foreman
School of Performing Arts
Under guidance of the Costume Director, Costume Shop Foreman provides support for all Stephens College Performing Arts Department productions including both dance and drama. This work may also extend to productions related to the music department and the Summer Theatre Institute. The costume shop also provides limited support to numerous other student and classroom projects.
*Beginning January 2013 with a regular schedule of 40 hours per week August - May.
- Assist in costume pre-build organization
- Consult with the Costume Designer to ensure costumes are built to specifications
- Convert costume design renderings and research to physical costumes
- Assist with costume fittings
- Assist in coordinating costume fittings and rehearsal needs with the show Stage Manager
- Update show specific costume information notebook
- Perform weekly equipment maintenance
- Assist with Okoboji (summer theater) costume and inventory needs
- Supervise student costume crews
- Supervise and assign duties to student workers; check and approve their work
- Attend dress rehearsals and performances as assigned
- Collaborate and communicate with other theater professionals to supplement the academic principles taught in the Stephens College costume design courses through verbal, written and electronic correspondence.
- All other duties as assigned
*This is a 40 hour week position during August - May.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and training techniques which support, mentor, and educate students from diverse backgrounds in a learning environment
- A thorough knowledge of theatre and costume history as well as strong experience in costume fabrication techniques including draping, pattern drafting, and construction skills utilizing many fabric types is required
- Understand theatrical costume and construction techniques; including dyeing and fabric modification
- Ability to handle instruction and be familiar with the concepts, practices and procedures in the academic teaching environment
- Ability to multi-task, organize and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment amidst a high level of activity
- Knowledge of commonly used costume shop machinery
- A wide degree of creativity and a habit of continued learning is encouraged and expected
- Strong word processing skills
Education/Training:Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in costume design and two years professional costume shop experience
Proof of costume construction skills including pattern drafting and draping plus five years professional costume shop experience
Stephens College offers excellent benefits, including vacation/holiday/sick pay, health/dental/life insurance, tuition waiver and College-paid retirement plan.
Application deadline: Open until filled
A diverse community on campus is valued.