Other Ways to Give
Charitable giving, aligned with your belief in an organization's mission, allows you to make the most of their assets.
Whether to taking advantage of a short-term financial opportunity or for long-term financial planning, gifts to Stephens College secure your story at Stephens, and allow Stephens to prepare for a bright future.
Stock Gifts and Appreciated Assets
Gifts of appreciated assets can be of significant benefit to the donor and to Stephens College. These gifts (long-term, appreciated) are deductible at full fair-market value and exempt from capital gains taxes if transferred directly to Stephens College.
Method #1: Your broker electronically transfers street-name stock via DTC #0221, A/C#LL-23978-IS, A/C of Stephens College, care of UBS PaineWebber.
Method #2: Call (800) 245-0900 or (503) 221-5856 and speak with John Schlendorf at UBS PaineWebber.
For tax year credit, please initiate transfers early enough in December to be completed by Dec. 28.
Planned Giving for your Legacy
Estate planning offers donors opportunities to support Stephens and other missions they believe in. In conjunction with your financial planners and estate attorney, we want to make sure your wishes are carried out. Involving us in this process can save time and legal fees while ensuring the Stephens Fund, scholarships, or a special project will be a great fit for your philanthropy.
Anyone who notifies Stephens that the College is named as a beneficiary of a gift through estate planning, or through a planned gift during their lifetime, is recognized for their legacy gift.
Many alumnae have included Stephens in their estate plans.
To get started, open the Declaration of Intent form.
- To submit electronically, print and scan the filled form, and send by email to [email protected], along with relevant documents from your estate plan/will.
- To submit by mail, print and fill the form and send to Office of Institutional Advancement, 1200 E. Broadway, Columbia, MO, 65215.
Many donors and their families are choosing family foundations and permanent trusts to hold their assets during their lifetimes and beyond. By earmarking a percentage of the annual gifting to Stephens College, you make it possible for Stephens to strategically plan for grown, campus improvements and scholarship offerings.
Contact the gift planning team at [email protected] to help you secure your legacy and Stephens College’s future.
Gifts from Retirement Funds and Mandatory IRA Distributions
Donors often want to ensure their security and that of their loved one. Making gifts of unneeded during your lifetime or residual retirement funds upon death gives donors tax benefits while supporting Stephens.
Designate Stephens College as the beneficiary of a retirement account.
IRA distributions can be made directly from your IRA to Stephens College.
- Make a gift of your required mandatory distribution from an IRA (age 70 1/2 or over through 2019, age 72 going forward).
- The SECURE Act set into effect as of Jan. 1, 2020, that the beginning date required mandatory distributions for IRAs will be age 72.
- You can continue to make Qualified Charitable Distributions at age 70 1/2.
- Make the gift to Stephens College before Dec. 31 each year.
- Up to $100,000 of which may be helpful during income tax preparation.
- Please consult with your professional advisers to discuss your specific situation.
- The CARES Act expands tax deductions for charitable giving for 2020.
- If you itemize your cash gift deductions, you may deduct up to the entire amount of your adjusted gross income (AGI) for cash gifts you make in 2020 (not the 60% limitation that would otherwise apply).
- Non-cash gifts are subject to lower AGI limitations and you may still be able to take advantage of carry-forwards from previous year gifts as well as 2020 gifts.
- Corporate cash gift deductions have also been temporarily increased from 10% of taxable income to 25%.
- Making your gift from retirement funds can offer significant tax and planning advantages by withdrawing funds yourself and taking an offsetting deduction in the same tax year, or by making a qualified charitable distribution. Either method counts toward required minimum distribution requirements and gets assets out of the estate.
Contact our office at (573) 876-7110 or [email protected] to learn more about any of the options for giving to Stephens:
- Matching Gifts. Take advantage of employer matching gifts. You can make a one-time gift or set up a monthly/annual recurring gift and secure matching gifts through your employer or that of your spouse or partner.
- Stephens College is a partner with AmazonSmile. A portion of your shopping will go to Stephens. Get started now >