Other Ways to Give
Gifts of Stocks + Securities
Gifts of appreciated assets can be of significant benefit to the donor and to Stephens College. These gifts (long-term, appreciated) are deductible at full fair-market value and exempt from capital gains taxes if transferred directly to Stephens College.
Method #1: Your broker electronically transfers street-name stock via DTC #0221, A/C#LL-23978-IS, A/C of Stephens College, care of UBS PaineWebber.
Method #2: Call (800) 245-0900 or (503) 221-5856 and speak with John Schlendorf at UBS PaineWebber.
Gifts from Retirement Funds
Designate Stephens College as the beneficiary of a retirement account.
IRA distributions can be made directly from your IRA to Stephens College.
- Make a gift of your required mandatory distribution from an IRA (age 70 1/2 or over through 2019, age 72 going forward).
- The SECURE Act set into effect as of Jan. 1, 2020, that the beginning date required mandatory distributions for IRAs will be age 72.
- You can continue to make Qualified Charitable Distributions at age 70 1/2.
- Make the gift to Stephens College before Dec. 31 each year.
- Up to $100,000 of which may be helpful during income tax preparation.
- Please consult with your professional advisers to discuss your specific situation.
- The CARES Act expands tax deductions for charitable giving for 2020.
- If you itemize your cash gift deductions, you may deduct up to the entire amount of your adjusted gross income (AGI) for cash gifts you make in 2020 (not the 60% limitation that would otherwise apply).
- Noncash gifts are subject to lower AGI limitations and you may still be able to take advantage of carryforwards from previous year gifts as well as 2020 gifts.
- Corporate cash gift deductions have also been temporarily increased from 10% of taxable income to 25%.
- Making your gift from retirement funds can offer significant tax and planning advantages by withdrawing funds yourself and taking an offsetting deduction in the same tax year, or by making a qualified charitable distribution. Either method counts toward required minimum distribution requirements and gets assets out of the estate.
Anyone who notifies Stephens that the College is named as a beneficiary of a gift through estate planning, or through a planned gift during their lifetime, is recognized for their legacy gift.
Many alumnae have included Stephens in their estate plans
Contact the gift planning team at [email protected] to help you secure your legacy and Stephens College’s future.
Even More Options
Contact our office at (573) 876-7110 or [email protected] to learn more about any of the options for giving to Stephens:
- Matching Gifts. Take advantage of employer matching gifts. You can make a one-time gift or set up a monthly/annual recurring gift and secure matching gifts through your employer or that of your spouse or partner.
- Set up or give to a scholarship fund.
- Support the Stephens Fund with AmazonSmile. A portion of your shopping will go to Stephens. Get started now >