Admission to the PA program at Stephens College is earned through a competitive process.
- Conferred bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution by May of the matriculation year
- Overall GPA of at least 3.0
- Science GPA of at least 3.0
- Last 60 Credit Hour GPA of at least 3.0
- Prerequisite GPA of at least 3.0
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Stephens College does not issue student visas for PA students.
- Stephens College will accept students with bachelor’s degrees conferred outside of the U.S. However, to have their applications reviewed, applicants with non-U.S. bachelor’s degrees must also have earned master’s degrees in the area of science or health science from a regionally accredited U.S. institution.
- TOEFL iBT: If English is not the applicant’s first language, he or she must also submit TOEFL results (paper-based score of 550, computer-based score of 213, or Internet-based score of 79 required) or ESL Certificate of Completion.
- International medical graduates with 500 hours of health care experience outside of the U.S. must also have acquired at least 250 hours of patient care experience in the U.S. by the time of application submission.
Direct Patient Care Experience
- All applicants must have acquired a minimum of 500 hours of direct patient care experience by CASPA application submission. This experience varies and can be acquired on a full- or part-time basis. Paid, direct, hands-on patient care especially requiring certification is most competitive (e.g., CNA, EMT, Patient Care Technician, etc.).
- No more than 100 patient care hours obtained as a student fulfilling requirements of an academic program will be counted toward the 500 hours of direct patient care.
- Volunteer hours while considered favorable, are not counted toward the 500-hour minimum.
- Stephens requires a minimum of 16 hours of shadowing by application submission.
- At least 8 hours of the required shadowing must be completed with a PA.
- The additional hours of shadowing can be completed with an MD, DO or PA.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Only official GRE scores taken after January 1, 2015 will be accepted.
- The GRE school code for Stephens College is 1576.
- No other test scores are accepted in lieu of the GRE.
- GRE scores are required of ALL candidates, including candidates who have already earned masters or doctoral degrees.
- Scores at or above the 50th percentile in each section are considered competitive.
The most competitive applicants exceed our admission requirements and demonstrate several characteristics listed below:
- Exceed the minimum required total cumulative, cumulative science, cumulative last 60 and cumulative prerequisite GPAs
- Received quantitative, qualitative, and verbal GRE score percentiles at or above 50th percentile
- Exceed the minimum required shadowing hours
- Exceed the minimum required PA specific shadowing hours
- Exceed the minimum required direct patient-care hours in a position that is paid, with direct, hands-on medical care of patients; especially where a certification is required
- Displayed volunteer service hours and work
- Have three excellent letters of reference
- Submit any research or publications
- Completion of one or more of the following courses: Immunology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Embryology, Endocrinology, Gerontology, Virology, Pathophysiology, Molecular Pathology, Evolution, Medical Ethics, Nutrition, Epidemiology, and Histology
It is important to note that not having such characteristics does not preclude an invitation for interview or acceptance into the program. It is equally important to note that having such characteristics in no way guarantees an interview, acceptance into the program or success in the program.
Please also note that:
- We are unable to waive any admissions requirements for any applicant regardless of circumstance.
- We do not offer or accept advanced placement or waive any program prerequisite or course requirement.
- The Stephens College PA program does not give preferential consideration to any student candidate or group.