This nationally ranked program is a hybrid of visual design and journalism.
Stephens College is ranked as one of the best fashion schools in the world. Stephens College was ranked the 6th “Best Fashion School in the World in 2019” by the Business of Fashion, London and the 14th "Best Fashion School in the World" in 2023 by CEOWORLD magazine.
A Stephens College degree in Fashion Communication prepares future journalists, marketers and graphic designers in all aspects of fashion communication.
Exceptional Learning Experience
Based on a survey of students and of academics around the world, the Fashion Communication program scores exceptionally high for learning experience, citing caliber of peers, quality of teaching and resources. Stephens is one of only two programs in the U.S. to earn recognition in this category.
The Fashion Communication program at Stephens allows you to design the career that’s right for you. You’ll study all aspects of the fashion industry and learn to talk and write about forecasting, runway shows and other industry trends like an expert.
- Take study trips to international fashion capitals for college credit.
- Intern at companies such as Elle Magazine, Kansas City Fashion Week, Krupp Group, WWD and emerging fashion brands.
- Complement your studies with a minor in design arts, digital film, small business ownership, event planning and more.
Stephens Life Magazine
Work on the staff of Stephens Life, our national award-winning student-run feature magazine.
Produce, market and report on The Collections, our annual student designer fashion show, a dynamic runway event established in 1944.
Interact with top industry professionals who visit Stephens every year, including prestigious designers invited by the Jeannene Booher Fashion Lecture Series. Recent guests include Brandon Maxwell and Chromat founder Becca McCharen Tran.
Costume Museum + Research Library
Explore our Historic Costume Museum + Research Library for project and story inspiration.
Market Day: This mock fashion buyer’s event brings together all aspects of the fashion program in a real-world work environment. Fashion Communication students report on the event and the styles launched, gaining hands-on experience in front of guests and faculty.
Susie’s Campus Bookstore
Susie’s Campus Bookstore: A campus bookstore run by students, Susie’s gives Fashion Communication majors experience in promotion and social media management for the store.
- Taylor Barber ’17, Junior Wholesale Manager, 2448 Agency, New York, NY
- MeKayla Chalupa ’12, Associate Manager of Retail Training, Warby Parker, New York, NY
- Khyneesha Edwards ’16, Graphic Designer, Kansas City, MO
- Colby Elliott ’15, Visual Merchandiser, Nordstrom, Atlanta, GA
- Caitlyn Gardner ’15, Designer & Product Developer, Aquarius, Ltd., St Louis, MO
- Kristine Kloss, Senior Director, Brand Marketing, Dermstore, Los Angeles, CA
- Brianna Knopf ’18, Graphic Designer, The Mayfair Group, Scottsdale, AZ
- Alexandra Martin ’18, Fargo Monthly Editor and Design & Living Editor, Spotlight Media, Fargo, ND
- Josie Ostrowski ’12, Buyer, Ulta Beauty, Bolingbrook, IL
- Taylor (Lamping) Shapiro ’12, Senior Manager, Global Visual Merchandising, Coty, New York, NY
- Anne F. Robertson '15, Creative Production Manager at Modern Luxury Media, Chicago, IL
- Deja Turner ’13, Stylist, Industrial Color, New York, NY
- Angie Westcott ’15, Creative Coordinator, Mixture, Mission, KS
- Jamie Warren ’16, Talent Acquisition Coordinator – Fashion & Beauty, Solomon Page, New York, NY
- Sarah Vitel ’16, Owner, Sarah Vitel Photography, Atlanta, GA
- Kate Zumwalt ’15, Art Director, 1Canoe2, Columbia, MO
The Collections 79th Annual Fashion Slideshow
To showcase this incredible up-and-coming talent, Stephens College has been producing The Collections, the annual student designer fashion show for 79 years.