Equine industry pioneer Sally Jackson and Stephens College announced a new $10,000 Scholarship available to the winner of the 2023 United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) Saddle Seat Medal Finals.
Created to support students committed to continuing their involvement in American Saddlebred and equine industries, the scholarship awards $10,000 for education expenses at Stephens College.
The scholarship winner will be recognized at the USEF Saddle Seat Finals in November. The winner will also be recognized at the 2024 American Saddlebred Horse & Breeders Association (ASHBA) Annual Conference in Louisville, Kentucky.
The tuition scholarship will be awarded to a student who wishes to enroll and pursue Equestrian Studies at Stephens College in Columbia, Missouri. This tuition scholarship is good for any future attendance year and will be awarded in the following manner:
- A $10,000 scholarship will be awarded to the 2023 USEF Saddle Seat Medal Finals winner. The winner must declare in writing to USEF their intent to utilize the scholarship by October 1, 2023, pending admission to Stephens College.
- If the 2023 USEF Saddle Seat Medal National Championship winner is unable to use this award, a USEF/ASHBA notification will be issued Monday, November 27, announcing that the scholarship has been opened to an application process. All riders that competed and qualified for the 2023 USEF Saddle Seat Medal Finals are eligible to apply. Applicants must be a competing member in good standing with USEF and ASHBA.
- Applicants who have been accepted to Stephens College and have already been awarded a full-tuition scholarship to Stephens College are ineligible to apply.
- The application process will be open from May 1 – October 1, 2023. All applications and video essays must be received by midnight Eastern Time on Sunday, October 1, 2023.
- Applicants will be required to submit a video essay, not to exceed 5 minutes, to the USEF/ASHBA review committee. The applicant’s video essay must include the following:
- The name/date of the competition where they qualified for the USEF Saddle Seat Medal Final
- Why they are interested in an education in Equestrian Studies
- Their career goals
- How this scholarship would help them; and
- Why they would like to study at Stephens College
- Along with the video essay, applicants must submit a brief cover letter with contact information and proof of USEF and ASHBA membership.
- The winner will be announced by email on October 31, 2023. Finalists seeking enrollment in the spring or fall of 2024 must apply to Stephens College and be accepted to the college before the announcement in January 2024.
Any inquiries or questions should be directed to Jean Warren, at [email protected].