The Stephens College Education program provides first-hand teaching experiences beginning your first semester.
Embedded in the program is our Children’s School laboratory school, which allows students to develop teaching skills starting their first semester in an authentic school environment.
- Start earning classroom experience from day one at The Children’s School at Stephens College, our on-campus laboratory school for pre-K through fifth-grade students.
- Work in real classroom settings alongside full-time teachers with master’s or doctoral education degrees.
- Gain experience with adapting to various learning needs by working in our multi-age lab school.
- Prepare and deliver your own lesson plans throughout the program.
- Become certified to teach at both the early childhood (includes kindergarten) and elementary levels.
Stephens is a long-time leader in arts and sciences curricular integration.
In fact, we were named a national College of Distinction for our Education program's curriculum and student-centered approach.
The Education program is transfer-friendly.
- Take advantage of our accelerated three-year, six-semester degree option.
- Small cohorts allow the education faculty to get to know you individually and tailor training to your specific needs.
The field of education continues to grow, and Missouri is experiencing teacher shortages at both the elementary and early childhood levels. The Stephens Education program will ensure you’re well prepared to fill the need for excellent teachers. You’ll graduate confident in your skills and ready to make a difference.
Education students at Stephens learn by doing. Our students complete four to five times more classroom time than many other programs, with more than 400 hours of classroom experiences prior to student teaching.
Experiential Learning Highlights
Start assisting in the Children’s School at Stephens College your first semester on campus.
Create a two-week curriculum, teach it to students at the Children’s School, and give a poster presentation about your methods and experience.
Spend your first semester student-teaching in a public school, and your second semester student-teaching at the Children’s School. With their exceptional experience and preparation level, Stephens student-teachers are in high demand at local schools.