The world needs more women like you making films.
Right now, women make up less than 10% of directors working on the top-grossing films in the U.S. As a women’s college, Stephens is uniquely situated to prepare you to make your mark and shatter industry trends.
- Begin working with professional film equipment your first semester on campus.
- Work alongside industry professionals during the Stephens Film Institute — a week-long production at the end of the spring semester.
- Continue writing, producing and directing original films throughout your career at Stephens.
- Graduate with a body of work that has been screened to a professional jury and at community events.
Get support in submitting your work to outside film festivals.
Summer Film Institute
This intensive summer experience brings together digital filmmaking students, professional guest filmmakers and filmmaking faculty to produce, shoot and edit a film together in a realistic working environment. Freshmen and sophomores rotate through positions on set while juniors and seniors select a role that aligns with their goals.
Film Projects That Get Noticed
“Tampsen Air,” the episodic film project produced during Stephens Film Institute in 2018, was nominated for Best TV Pilot by the New York City Independent Film Festival.
Valuable Film Production Experience
Our students actively produce films throughout their time at Stephens.
Senior Film Showcase
The Senior Showcase is the culmination of a full year of work. It’s run like a film festival, with a Q+A for directors.
What Sets Us Apart
- Stephens is one of only two women’s colleges in the U.S. that has a production program.
- Technology: Students have free access to a full range of filmmaking equipment maintained by the digital filmmaking faculty and library staff.
- Columbia’s annual documentary film festival, True/False, is an integral part of spring semester digital filmmaking courses. Stephens students get behind-the-scenes experience by serving as festival volunteers.
- Columbia’s strong local arts community includes Ragtag Cinema, a few short blocks from the Stephens campus.
- Our students attend regular masterclasses with visiting industry professionals.