The Stephens College B.F.A. in Musical Theatre emphasizes individualized student process and technique, and prepares graduates for success in the industry. Students graduate with the performance experience, resilience and work ethic to meet the rigors and challenges of the profession.
- Accelerated B.F.A program – three years/two summers (eight-semester program)
- Summer intensives that challenge students to grow as professionals; these include immersive workshops, master classes, technical coursework and one-on-one instruction
- Significant schedule of nationally and internationally recognized guest artists
- Focused career planning and preparation for audition process
- The Stephens curriculum begins preparing students for the realities of the business from their first semester. Coursework focuses on auditioning and career preparation.
- Honing the craft includes technical coursework and attention to such essential areas as acting the song, voice training, vocal health and fitness for the stage. Candid and consistent evaluations help students identify strengths as well as areas for improvement in preparation for their rigorous final year and graduation.
- Musical theatre students graduate with a personal audition strategy and personalized marketing package, developed in consultation with working industry professionals and advisers.
- All students spend at least one summer as members of Stephens’ Okoboji Summer Theatre company, located in the lakeside resort community of Spirit Lake, Iowa. OST offers a highly immersive, comprehensive internship experience and is the only program of its kind.
- Stephens produces a full schedule of musicals. During the academic year, students audition for all Playhouse Theatre (mainstage) productions as well as for those produced by our student-run Warehouse Theatre Company. Students also audition for Stephens’ professional summer stock theatre company, Okoboji Summer Theatre, which stages nine mainstage productions and four children’s theatre productions each summer.
- Students in the undergraduate residential women’s college perform with and work alongside established guest artists as well as male performers who join Stephens through our fellowship program.
Application and Audition
An audition is required for the B.F.A. in Musical Theatre program. Learn about the audition process. Please note that all new students interested in the B.F.A. in Musical Theatre must first apply to Stephens College using our free Stephens College application or the Common App. Students must apply to the College BEFORE submitting an audition or portfolio.
More to Explore
Students in the B.F.A. in Musical Theatre program are part of the Stephens College School of Creative and Performing Arts.