Degree Program Overview
Stephens College offers a Bachelor of Science in Health Science. Students studying health science at Stephens receive a solid foundation for pursuing a wide range of careers in the rapidly expanding healthcare industry.
Our programs are designed to help students:
- Build a solid foundation in fundamental sciences, human function, health research and service and health policy.
- Understand physical, biological, behavioral and social domains of health.
- Graduate with an understanding and appreciation for the challenges and opportunities in healthcare.
Career Paths and Program Tracks
From your first semester at Stephens, your advisers and professors will work with you to help you determine the path that best suits your interests, strengths and goals. Exposure to the full range of healthcare issues and career options will broaden your understanding of the industry and its many opportunities.
Clinical typically require additional post-graduate studies, however, the foundation you receive at Stephens will help you excel as you apply to graduate programs and pursue exciting new challenges.
- Pre-Physician Assistant (see required courses)
- Pre-Physical Therapy (see required courses)
- Pre-Occupational Therapy (see required courses)
- Pre-Chiropractic (see required courses)
All of these professions are expecting much faster than average job growth (Bureau of Labor Statistics) and Physician Assistant was named the #4 Best HealthCare Job (U.S. News and World Report).
Students in these tracks can expect to pursue all kinds of positions from community health advocate or wellness coordinator to healthcare information manager. They will graduate from Stephens qualified to work in hospitals, non-profits, community service and government agencies. They may also pursue specialty areas such as pharmaceutical sales, training and insurance where industry expertise in health can be a significant asset.
- Healthcare management (see required courses)
- Fitness and wellness (see required courses)
- Generalist (see required courses)
Helpful tip: To compare all of the tracks available in the Bachelor of Science in Health Science, review our curriculum overview sheet.
Looking for pre-med or pre-vet?
While a Bachelor of Science in Health Science can certainly put you on the path to success in these kinds of programs, many students in these fields focus on a Biology degree at Stephens. Your adviser can help you determine which path is best for you. Both programs are housed within the School of Health Sciences and share a core curriculum. Biology is also a good fit for those interested in a research career.