Our award-winning student-run magazine
Stephens Life is produced by Stephens students as part of a practicum class available through the School of Design. However, students from any major can enroll. The practicum encourages a real-world publishing environment where students take on the roles of creative director, art director, graphic designer, photographer or writer, and work together to produce a high quality magazine publication. Stephens Life underwent a rebranding process in 2016 led by students and reflective of a more modern, photo-centric approach to journalism. Students on the magazine staff get hands-on experience from pitching articles to the final production and every step in-between.
View our Stephens Life issues.
Read Stephens Life blog.
Read about our recent awards
Our award-winning publication consistently brings home top national student awards for the outstanding work of our Stephens Life staff members.
College Media Association (CMA) Pinnacle Awards:
- Second place: Best Magazine Contents Page/Spread - Table of contents (Spring 2017 issue)
- Third place: Best Magazine News Page/Spread - “Men and Feminism” (Spring 2017 issue)
- Second place: Best Magazine Entertainment Page/Spread - “Eat” (Fall 2016 issue)
- First place: Best Magazine Entertainment Page/Spread - “I Like Fashion and Naps” (Spring 2016 issue)
- Honorable mention: Best Magazine News Page/Spread - “Disruption: A Year of Fractured Fashion” (Spring 2016 issue)
Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) honors:
- Finalist: 2019 Design of the Year: magazine page/spread by writer Meca Brown-Sanders '19 and photographer Anna Tripolitis '19 in the Spring 2019 issue
- Finalist, feature/general interest division: The Kindred Issue (Fall 2018 magazine)
- Second place: Feature Magazine Best of Show Award (2017-2018 academic year)
- Fourth place: 2018 Design of the Year: Best Magazine/Special Section Cover. Alexandra Martin ’18 created the winning design for the Fall 2017 issue
- Honorable Mention: 2018 Story of the Year: Best Diversity Series. Recognized stories were “Love, etc.” by Mary Kate Hafner ’18 in the Fall 2017 issue and “The A-Team: Navigating Nonexistence” by Erika Westhoff ’18 in the Spring 2018 issue
- Finalist: Pacemaker Award - 2017-2018 academic year
- Winner: Pacemaker Award - 2016-2017 academic year
- Honorable Mention: Design of the Year: Yearbook/Magazine Page/Spread - “Eat” (Fall 2016 issue)
- Fifth place: Design of the Year - “Superfoods” (Spring 2016 issue)
- Nomination for Best Yearbook/Magazine Page/Spread - “Superfoods” (Spring 2016 issue)
Return to the School of Design.