The M.S. in Health Information Management program is seeking strong candidates who meet the academic prerequisites and have a passion for making a difference in this field.
The Master of Science in Health Information Management degree is composed of 36 credit hours in core degree coursework with an additional one (1) credit hour online Orientation course.
All students admitted to the MS-HIM are required to have a conferred bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with the necessary undergraduate preparation in information and computer systems, statistics, and management typically found in health, informatics, and business disciplines.
Please note that the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is not required for admission to the program.
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements to be eligible for admission to the MS-HIM program at Stephens College:
A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale) is highly preferred. Students with a GPA below 3.0 who maintained a GPA of 3.0 or above in their last 60 college credit hours will be considered for provisional admission.
Proof of successful completion of undergraduate courses in information systems, statistics, and management typically found in health, informatics, and business disciplines must be provided. Applicants who lack evidence will be required to take appropriate undergraduate prerequisite courses.
Prerequisites for application to the MS-HIM degree include successful completion of the following prerequisite courses or equivalents:
Medical Terminology (2-3 credit hours)
Human Anatomy and Physiology (5-6 credit hours)
Computer Concepts and Applications (3 credit hours)
Pathophysiology and Pharmacology (3-4 credit hours)
Statistics (3-4 credit hours)
Students who have graduated from a Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management (CAHIIM) accredited associate or bachelor’s degree program have likely met these HIM degree prerequisites. A grade of “C” or better must be earned in each course to show evidence of aptitude.
Students who have not successfully completed equivalent undergraduate courses will be required to complete the following Stephens College HIM prerequisites prior to eligible application:
Master of Science in HIM Prerequisites*
(18 credit hours)
BIO 247: Anatomy and Physiology I (3 credit hours)
BIO 248: Anatomy and Physiology II (3 credit hours)
CIS 206: Information Systems (3 credit hours)
HIA 250: Healthcare Statistics (3 credit hours)
HIA 255: Medical Terminology (3 credit hours)
HIA 275: Clinical Applications of Pathophysiology & Pharmacology (3 credit hours)
How to Apply
1) Complete your online application, including:
- A current resume/CV highlighting work experience and education
- Contact information (include name, title, and business email address) for two references (may be business professionals or academic references). Your references will receive recommendation forms from Stephens College Admissions.
- A one-page statement of purpose that focuses on the applicant's career goals and the purpose of pursuing the MS-HIM degree, as well as the outcomes and benefits the applicant hopes to receive by completing the program
2) Submit official transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended:
- To be deemed official, transcripts must be sent to Stephens College directly. For institutions that submit electronic transcripts, please have them emailed to [email protected].
- For those institutions that mail transcripts, please have them sent directly to the address below. A transcript submitted from a student is NOT an official transcript.
Stephens College Office of Admissions
1200 E. Broadway, Campus Box 2121
Columbia, MO 65215
- Please note that the HIM Program Director and faculty may request a candidate interview before a final admission decision.
- All applicants admitted to the MS-HIM program will receive notification via email.
Upon acceptance into the MS-HIM program, students must complete specific steps before egistering for class. Students should begin by reviewing the computer technology requirements for online students to ensure they meet the technological requirements to succeed in their courses.
Accepted HIM students will receive specific instructions to their personal email address with instructions for the following steps:
- Completing the online student ID card process (must have a valid picture ID and webcam for completion)
- Submitting the Intent to Enroll form
Following successful completion of these items, students will be enrolled in the MS-HIM degree and will receive an email from the Office of the Registrar with detailed instructions on how to register for classes.
IT Process for Enrolled Students
Once new students are processed, they are sent an email to their personal email account with the following information:
Stephens College Email Address
Payment on all outstanding bills is due one week prior to the beginning of classes. Students can make their payment or set up a payment plan via our secure payment site: stephens.afford.com.