1833 Columbia Female Academy opens under the helm of Lucy H. Wales.
1855 The Academy closes; trustees quickly establish its successor, the Columbia Female Baptist Academy.
1870 James L. Stephens endows the College with $20,000, and the institution is renamed in his honor.
1912 James Madison Wood becomes the president of Stephens College.
1921 Jessie Burrall brings the Burrall Bible Class to Stephens. It becomes so popular, thousands of students from both Stephens and the University of Missouri attend.
1921 The Ten Ideals are born, ten values that Stephens women pledge to adhere to.
1923 Science Hall—now Hickman Hall—opens.
1925 Stephens College opens a children's school on campus, serving both education majors and community school children.
1926 The Prince of Wales riding club, the country's oldest continuously active riding club in the country, forms on campus.
1933 Campus celebrates the 100th anniversary of Stephens College.
1944 Stephens introduces the first aviation program for women.
1960 Stephens begins an innovative new honors house plan.
1970 Stephens debuts University Without Walls (now the Graduate, Online and Certificate Programs).
1983 Patsy Sampson becomes first female president of Stephens College.
1998 Carl Stephens Otto retires from the Board of Trustees. He is the fifth and last generation of the Stephens family to serve the College.
2004 Stephens becomes a pet-friendly campus and later earns the title of the pet-friendliest college.
2006 Citizen Jane Film Festival begins at Stephens College.
2009 Dr. Dianne Lynch becomes 24th president of the College.
2014 Stephens receives a $15 million unrestricted donation, the largest gift in the College's history.