We all know how frustrating life as a college student can be, and it’s usually the little things that send you over the edge. To avoid calling home and complaining about something trivial, here is a short list of simple tips and tricks to make your life a little less stressful.
1. Need to get some stubborn wrinkles out of a shirt but don’t have time to iron it? Throw the shirt in the dryer with 5 ice cubes to get it to a more presentable state.
2. Are you ever out shopping or eating downtown and wonder what the Wi-Fi password is for that business? Check the comments on Foursquare. Not only will you find the password, but you will also get some valuable feedback from other customers.
3. Having trouble sticking to your diet plan? Drink two cups of water before each meal to feel fuller faster and prevent overeating, but please remember this will not take the place of healthy eating and exercise. Drinking more water is also great for healthier skin and hair!
4. Is the microwave in your hall or room disgusting? Don’t spend unnecessary time scraping out those dried up leftovers. To make cleaning your microwave easier, put a bowl of water in it for 3-5 minutes, and the steam will moisten the leftovers inside the microwave.
5. Got an unexpected zit the night before a big presentation or date? Wash your face, put a dab of honey on the pimple and keep the honey on overnight. Honey helps soothe the area while also working to kill the bacteria. The zit may not be completely gone in the morning, but it will be an improvement.
6. Are you finding yourself up all night and having trouble memorizing information for a test? Studies say that chewing gum while studying and then chewing the same flavor during a test will help you remember the material better.
7. Do you ever feel like having an impromptu dance party but have no speaker to plug your phone into? Put your phone in an empty bowl to amplify the sound coming from your phone’s speakers. Party on, Susie!
8. Does your dorm room have a mysterious odor that refuses to be covered up? Tape a couple of dryer sheets to a fan to freshen the air.
9. Do you ever crave pizza but want to save a little cash? Visit www.pizzacodes.com, type in your area code and get coupons instantly. You may have to shell out some cash, but hey, every little bit helps as a poor college student.
10. Do your shoes ever smell bad after a long day of walking around campus? Try putting a tea bag in each shoe and leave it overnight. The tea bag will absorb the odor and leave your shoes free of any foul smell.
Hopefully these simple tricks keep you from having an awful week, but perhaps the most valuable tip is to take time out of your day for a deep breath and to remember what is important.