Kappa Deltas Kristen McCurdy, sophomore, and Alyssa Prato, freshman, both biology students, man the Shamrock sign-up table in Stamper Commons.
On March 9, the women of Stephens’ Kappa Delta sorority will be hosting their annual Shamrock 5K Run/Walk at Stephens Lake Park.
This will be the sixth year Kappa Delta sponsors the event. Last year, Kappa Delta raised more than $5,000 for its philanthropy Prevent Child Abuse America and hosted about 120 runners. As for 2013, the goal has increased to 175 participants raising $7,000.
“For the past four years, we have made increases every year in our runner participation and an increase in the amount of money we raise,” said senior fashion marketing and management student and Shamrock Chair Liz Anderson.
“In addition to the run, we sent out donation letters, flyers and pledge cards to our alumnae, friends and family,” Anderson said. “We anticipate (meeting) our goal. We have 63 runners pre-registered as of March 5.”
General pre-registration fees are $20 and day-of registration is $25. For children, senior citizens, Kappa Delta alumnae or a group of five or more, pre-registration is only $10 with day-of registration increasing to $15.
The day’s activities will begin at noon with day-of registration. After registration and T-shirt distribution, participants will begin their 5K run/walk at 1 p.m.. There are also Kids Fun Run and free face painting for children. For participants whose children will not be running, Kappa Delta has organized a child care service.
There will be a representative of Missouri Kids First, Missouri’s chapter of the national PCAA organization, to set up a table and speak with participants to raise awareness about the issue of child abuse and neglect. 80 percent of Shamrock’s proceeds will go to Missouri Kids First while the remaining 20 percent will be given to the national PCAA.
“We have to start being aware and educating our friends and families on the cause and effect of child abuse,” Anderson said. “Knowing the warning signs, how to speak to children about it and how to report it goes a long way for a child.”
Preventing child abuse is just one of Kappa Delta’s philanthropic missions. They partner with the Girl Scouts, donate to the Children’s Hospital of Richmond, Va. orthopedic research, and the KiDs Need to be KiDs campaign helping children in disaster-struck areas.
“We are a young and small chapter compared to other Kappa Delta chapters across the nation,” Anderson said. “But we don’t let that discourage us in any way because the women we have are so intelligent and so driven.”
To register for the annual Shamrock 5K Run/Walk, stop by the Kappa Delta table in Stamper Commons during lunch and dinner or go to kappadeltazetaupsilon.eventbrite.com.
Story by sophomore Nickie Bartels