The primary goal of Stephens College Security is the personal safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors as well as the protection of our property. Although security personnel are trained and qualified, they are not certified law enforcement officers and as such do not carry weapons, have arrest powers or investigate crimes. However, they do work in close cooperation with the Columbia Police Department in the event of a reportable crime. They patrol the campus for unusual occurrences and serve as visible deterrents. They control and regulate parking, open buildings for staff and students, and perform other duties that may arise. Security personnel also provide security escort for students, faculty and staff within the campus confines after dark. Security may be contacted 24 hours a day, year-round at (573) 876-7299.
The Stephens College Security staff enjoys an excellent relationship with the Columbia Police Department. Our personnel encourage students and staff to report any incident to the Columbia Police Department that would be of a serious nature. On an annual basis, the Crime Prevention Unit of the Columbia Police Department is invited to conduct a security survey of the campus. From the results of this survey, the College is given a list of recommended changes that could be made in various areas. For example, lighting and landscaping have been altered to increase campus safety.
The primary goal of the Security staff is the protection of our people and property. We encourage you to take advantage of this service. For a more detailed explanation of security procedures, you may request a copy of the Stephens College Security Manual from the Office of the Dean of Students. The College's policies on Illicit Drugs and Alcohol as well as a report on Security Policies and Programs (including Crime Statistics) are both available online.
Stephens College complies with the provisions of the Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act (PL102-542). If you have any questions concerning your rights under this federal statute, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of the Dean of Students for further information.
Stephens College Emergency Response and Business Continuity Plan
Stephens College is refining its emergency response plan (see current summary) with assistance from faculty, staff and students. Stephens community members should update their emergency contact information with the security office. The information gathered will be used for emergency purposes only.
Important H1N1 (swine flu) Information
Our health services and security offices have developed a statement of policies and practices consistent with the recommendations of state and government health agencies. Our emergency response team members have consistently reviewed the latest and most current updates and recommendations from the Missouri Department of Health and Human Services and the federal Center for Disease Control. For more information, visit http://www.dhss.mo.gov/BT_Response/_H1N1Flu.htm and http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/press/. Although we cannot eliminate the spread of this virus, our collective efforts can significantly minimize its reach and overall impact.
Campus Facilities Access
Campus facilities are open at posted times only. By calling security, you may gain access to some locked facilities. Information concerning visitors and their responsibilities are located throughout this publication.
Policy on Student Access to Closed Buildings
GOAL: To provide students access to special academic work areas (i.e. fashion and art studios) at times other than normal working hours while maintaining safety and security.
- Buildings will be closed at specified times. These times are listed in the Security manual and Within the Ivy. Security staff will make an interior building check at closing.
- Students on an approved list working in a building at closing time will be allowed to remain indefinitely.
- Students on an approved list who request entrance into a building after closing time will be let in from closing until midnight and then may stay indefinitely.
- Students not on an approved list will not be allowed in after closing.
- Student requests for entrance after midnight will not be allowed.
- Students are encouraged to work with other students and avoid being alone in a building after closing. Students also are encouraged not to jeopardize their safety or the safety of others through unsafe acts (i.e. propping open an outside door or inviting in unapproved guests).
- When possible, Security will frequently check those buildings where students are working after hours.
Stephens College Campus Building Hours
- Art Center 7:15 a.m.-10 p.m. daily
- Audrey Webb Child Study Center 7 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Design Studio unlocked for class only (available 24 hours)
- Dudley Hall 7 a.m.-midnight
- Firestone Baars Chapel 8 a.m.-4 p.m. (unlocked for weddings and
other special occasions)
- Greenhouse open for classes only
- Helis Communications Center Radio Station 5:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Science
Department 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Department Offices 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Hickman Hall 7:15 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Historic Senior Hall 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Hugh Stephens Library 8 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Macklanburg Playhouse 8 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Residence Halls noon-11 p.m., Sun.-Thurs. noon-1 a.m., Fri.-Sat.
- Scene Shop 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Stables 6 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Stamper Commons 6 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Stephens Auditorium open for special events only
- Visitors Center 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Walter Hall 7:15 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Warehouse Theatre locked except class for performance
Campus Security Escort
One of the most important functions performed by Stephens College Security is to escort students around campus after dark. We strongly encourage you to call for an escort anytime you need to move around campus at night. Call 876-7299 or simply use the drive-up phones located at each parking lot to contact security. In most cases, the response time will be less than five minutes, but calling in advance would help guarantee prompt service.
Personal safety is everyone's responsibility. Although Stephens College continually reviews and improves security measures on campus, we encourage you to use good judgement and common sense so that your actions do not contribute to unsafe situations. Stephens is located in an urban area which means that you should take the following precautions:
When walking on campus:
- After dark, always go out with friends. NEVER WALK ALONE AT NIGHT.
- If you go out at night and/or return to campus and have no one to accompany you, call Security for an escort. The number is 876-7299. If you need security during regular working hours (8 a.m.-5 p.m., M-F), call 876-7299.
- After dark, stay in well-lighted areas and on sidewalks.
In residence halls:
- Always lock your door when you leave, even if it is only for a minute.
- Always lock your door when sleeping.
- Report any strangers to residence hall staff.
- Do not lend your keys to anyone.
- Report lost keys immediately to residence hall staff.
- Report any theft or unusual occurrence to the residence hall staff and Security.
- Report any unauthorized or unescorted persons present in the halls to a staff member or Office of Security immediately.