Stephens Rolls Out Red Carpet for [project] Prom Fashion Show
Update: Congratulations to Maura Pozek, the grand prize winner of the 2012 Fashion Creative Express Project competition. During the judging, a First Runner-Up Award (a $500 scholarship to Stephens College) was created. The first runner-up was Ilia Siegwald.
The Stephens College Fashion department will host a [project] Prom Fashion Show at 1 p.m. and at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012, at the Warehouse Theatre, 100 Willis Ave., on the Stephens College campus. General admission is $8; tickets are available at projectprom.eventbrite.com. Click for show poster.
The show, which features prom trends, is being produced by Stephens fashion students and is part of the 2012 Fashion Creative Express Project competition. Junior and senior high school students were asked to design their fantasy prom; submissions could include an essay, a mood board, an original dress design sketch or photo of a garment they’ve made, or artwork.
The five finalists were selected by Stephens fashion faculty and Ashley Litton, Miss Missouri USA 2004, a Stephens alumna, gown designer and co-owner of Sassy Chic in Kansas City. All of the finalists will receive a prom makeover and a starring role on the runway during the fashion show. The grand prize winner from this group will also receive a $1,000 scholarship to Stephens, a VIP Prom Party and a gift certificate toward a limo ride to her prom.
“We’re excited to host this prom trend forecasting fashion show for high school girls,” says Caroline Sheridan, a fashion show production student. “We hope to provide a show that encourages creativity and confidence in high school girls as they live their fairytale prom night.”
Litton, along with Danielle Bounds, former Miss Earth United States, will serve as guest commentators during the fashion show. The prom dresses and accessories for the models and winners are courtesy of the following sponsors: Sassy Chic Boutique, The Gown House, DEB, Envy, Elly's Couture, Maude Vintage, and the Stephens College Costume Shop. Additional sponsors of the show include The Strand Salon & Spa and My Secret Garden.
- Hillary Henry, Hickman High School, Columbia, Mo.
- Avery Kerr, Hickman High School, Columbia, Mo.
- Maura Pozek, Reeds Spring High School, Kimberling City, Mo.
- Ilia Elizabeth Siegwald, Concordia High School, Concordia, Mo.
- Mckinzie Welschmeyer, New Bloomfield RIII, New Bloomfield, Mo.
In the Media
- Hickman students participate in Stephens College prom fashion show (Columbia Missourian)
- PHOTO GALLERY: Stephens College hosts fashion competition for high schoolers (Columbia Missourian)
- Prom is starting early this year with [project] PROM Fashion Show (Vox)
- New Bloomfield senior to compete in fashion show (The Fulton Sun)
- Atypical design wins shot at $1,000 grant (Branson Tri-Lakes News)
Interested in studying fashion at Stephens? Learn more: Stephens’ Fashion Department