Professional Tutor - Liberal Arts/Science & Math
The Student Success Center announces one part-time position (ten hours weekly) for a tutor beginning Fall Semester 2011. The Center seeks a professional who can be a self-directed member of the team and provide tutoring to residential undergraduate students. Scheduling availability is as important as expertise. The tutor will be expected to complete an online training module by midterm of the first semester.
- Master’s degree preferred, will consider a bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Ability to guide students (individually or in small groups) beginning with basic math through calculus
- Working knowledge of biology, chemistry, and physics at the collegiate level
- Demonstrated experience (preferred) in assisting students (individually or in small groups) with introductory writing assignments/projects in liberal arts courses or in specific majors such as business, fashion, and education.
- Knowledge of formatting styles, particularly MLA and APA
- Exam proctoring as needed
- Support for technological literacy—encourage use of databases and evaluation of web sources.
- Presentation of at least one workshop (announced in advance) during each semester.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding records and information.
EOE. A diverse community on campus is valued.