Built in 1926 by Stephens President James Madison Wood, the President’s Home at Stephens College played host to students, campus and community guests, distinguished visitors, graduates and many more friends of the College. In the decades after Wood's presidency, the tradition of the President’s Home lived on through leaders such as Seymour Smith, Homer Price Rainey and Patsy Sampson.
The architect was James P. Jamieson (1867-1941), who was first hired by Stephens in 1915 to design a master plan for South Campus and its adjacent buildings. Jamieson selected Georgian Revival style for the residence, which echoes in the design of Wood and Columbia halls nearby. Born in Scotland, Jamieson arrived in Philadelphia in 1884, where he worked for Cope and Stewardson, known for the design of collegiate Gothic structures nationwide. He designed private residences in St. Louis as well as academic buildings on campuses across the country — including those of Washington University, Princeton, Bryn Mawr and the University of Missouri (Memorial Union and Ellis Library). Decades later, Jamieson continues to be recognized for his adaptations of Georgian architecture.