Graduate Catalog 2011-2012
Graduate Admission :: Application Procedure :: Admission Procedure :: Transfer Credit :: Period of Deferral
Admission requirements vary by program. All programs require a bachelor's degree earned from a regionally accredited institution. International students may present transcripts that are not regionally accredited. These transcripts must be evaluated for equivalency to a U.S. College degree. Graduate & Continuing Studies will not review transcripts or applications until the student's application file is complete.
The application process includes submission of the following:
- Completed and signed Graduate Application
- Non-refundable application fee of $50
- Official transcript indicating conferred bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate coursework, with a qualifying GPA of 3.0 for the last 60 credit hours of undergraduate and/or graduate coursework
- Three letters of recommendation from professionals in the field
- A 300-500 word essay explaining the personal characteristics that make the applicant an ideal candidate to study in the graduate program
- A current resume
- International students must submit scores from the TOEFL examination. International students are required to complete the TOEFL examination with a minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test, 213 on the computer-based test or 79 on the Internet-based test.
Additional admission requirements include:
- For the M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction:
- A 3.5 cumulative GPA in the last 60 credit hours of coursework taken or a 3.0 cumulative GPA with Portfolio Review done by Department
- A personal interview
- For the M.Ed. in Counseling:
- A criminal background check through the Family Safety Care Registry (FSCR) for applicants to the M.Ed in Counseling program
- A personal interview
- For all programs:
- A personal or phone interview
Applicants may submit application materials online or by mail to Stephens College, Graduate & Continuing Studies, 1200 East Broadway, Box 2083, Columbia, Missouri 65215.
The department chair and Graduate & Continuing Studies recruitment team review completed application files and extend an offer of admission to those who meet the admission requirements.
Graduate students pursuing their first master’s degree may transfer a maximum of nine semester hours of graduate credit to their Stephens College program. These graduate credits can be earned prior to admission to Stephens College or upon approval of the graduate program director after admission to Stephens College. The total amount of graduate transfer credit for a student pursuing their first master’s degree cannot exceed nine semester hours without permission from the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Students who have already earned an advanced degree and wish to pursue a second master’s degree may transfer up to 50 percent (50%) of relevant, graduate-level coursework towards their program of study with approval of the program director. At no time should the number of credit hours transferred exceed 24 credit hours.
Period of Deferral
Acceptances are valid for the semester/session for which the student is accepted. Students who are unable to start the semester/session will need to request approval of their deferral through the Director of Recruitment. Acceptances are not guaranteed beyond the original semester/session.
Tuition and Fees
Graduate Business Programs
Master of Education in Counseling
Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction