Blackboard Information for Students
What is Blackboard?
BlackBoard is an online learning management system that allows instructors to deliver course material to students. Instructors and students can also communicate via Blackboard. Instructors can allow students to submit assignments through Blackboard, and can post grades and feedback that students can access at any time.
- tools for posting a class syllabus, assignments, documents and links
- threaded discussions
- email capabilities
- electronic file exchange
- instant messaging and voice chat using Blackboard IM
- group pages for student team projects
- online quizzes, surveys and grade book
- and more!
- Open Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or Safari and go to the Stephens Blackboard website at http://stephens.blackboard.com/ .
- Enter the USERNAME and PASSWORD that was given to you and click the "Login" button. Your password may be different than your email password.
You may change your password as soon as you log in so no one else can access your account. (This can be done by clicking the "Forgot your Password" link on Blackboard login page.)
Accessing your courses In your My Blackboard Courses tab, under My Courses, there should be links for all of your courses. Click on the one you wish to enter. Then you can access content for each particular course. A course looks like this:
In your My Blackboard Courses tab, under My Courses, there should be links for all of your courses. Click on the one you wish to enter. Then you can access content for each particular course. A course looks like this:
Never give anyone your password. Be sure to "Logout" and close the web browser when you are finished. If you do not do this, someone else could have access to your grades, files, and other sensitive information.
Getting Help or Training
Most questions can be answered by referring to the Support Pages on the Blackboard Support Site.
If you need additional help, call the Information & Technology Services Help Desk at 573-876-2381 or send e-mail to [email protected].
Blackboard Support Pages for Students: Blackboard's comprehensive help site for students with documentation, tutorials, tips, etc.
- Windows Vista or 7; MacOS 10.4 or later. All Windows or MacOS updates should be installed as soon as possible as they become available.
- at least 1 GB RAM (5GB RAM or more is recommended)
- internet connection that allows at least 5 Mb/s download and 0.9 Mb/s upload speed
(ISDN or dial-up are not recommended)
Check your internet connection speed by clicking Begin Test on this linked site: http://www.speedtest.net/mini.php.
Web Browser Requirements
- Internet Explorer 9 or 10, Safari 5, Google Chrome, Firefox 20 and up, or Android Browser to access Blackboard
- Your browser must meet the following
minimum technical requirements:
- Cookies must be enabled.
- Allow pop-ups from stephens.blackboard.com
- Check your browser by clicking here: http://www.stephens.edu/blackboard/browsercheck/
- Your computer's anti-virus and anti-malware software must be kept up to date, and any detected viruses and malware must be removed. For PCs, we recommend Microsoft Security Essentials: http://www.microsoft.com/securityessentials/
Only one antivirus/security program should be installed.
Still Having Technical Difficulty?
If you're using Firefox and have trouble, try Internet Explorer instead.
If you're using Internet Explorer and have trouble, try Firefox. http://www.firefox.com/
If you have a personal firewall on your computer, you might need to configure it so that it allows your browser to act as a server.
Troubleshooting in Internet Explorer:
Add stephens.blackboard.com to Trusted Sites. Under Tools - Internet Options - Security - Sites
[uncheck the box that says 'require server verification']).
To change other Internet Explorer settings to clear up most other problems:
Click Tools or the gear-shaped icon in the upper right.
Choose Internet Options (last one).
Go to the Security tab.
Click the Custom Level button.
Scroll half-way down. Make sure that (about half way down the list) Display mixed content is Enabled.
Click OK, Yes, and then OK again.After that, whenever you click on a document in Blackboard, click Save (rather than Open). It's faster!
If something still does not work - send a message to [email protected] with a time that we can call you: we can fix your problem remotely during a webinar session.
Common causes of problems include spotty internet connections, and user error.
Your computer must have an internet connection that allows at least 5 Mb/s download and 0.9 Mb/s upload speed. (ISDN or dial-up are not recommended). Check your internet connection speed by clicking Begin Test above on this same page. Wireless connections go in and out. Be sure to connect your computer to the internet using a wire before your exam.
During the exam, avoid clicking the Back arrow at the top of a browser. Avoid using the keyboard on a multiple choice test (e.g., do not press Spacebar or Enter or Backspace on a multiple choice exam. In essay or short answer questions, make sure that the cursor is in a text box before pressing any keys on the keyboard.