Stephens College Office of Development and Alumnae Relations
Information Release Policy
The Office of Development and Alumnae Relations of Stephens College maintains a database of biographical information about college alumnae and friends in accordance with the general needs and expectations of the college community. The information contained within this database is intended exclusively for purposes related to Stephens College programs.
Stephens College regards all information about its alumnae and friends to be confidential in nature. Therefore, care is used in the dissemination of information to individuals involved in college-approved activities on a “need-to-know” basis. Stephens College retains the right to and ownership of any and all information released to individuals acting on behalf of the college.
When the college releases information, it is understood that the intent is to use it for college-related purposes only. The use of names, addresses, or other information for non-approved activities is strictly prohibited. The release of any information contained within the college’s database for political purposes or non-approved commercial purpose is strictly prohibited.
No portion of any alumnae or friend information may be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the consent of the Stephens College Office of Development and Alumnae Relations.
The following may request alumnae and/or friend information from the Office of Development and Alumnae Relations:
- Stephens College Alumnae Association Chapters or Groups
- Stephens College volunteers involved in college-approved activities
- Administrative units of Stephens College
- Academic units of Stephens College
- Athletic units of Stephens College
- Other colleges and universities seeking the location of alumnae with degrees from both Stephens College and the requesting institution
- Student loan agencies
- Agencies that assist Stephens College in locating lost alumnae
- Stephens College alumnae in search of other Stephens College alumnae
- Companies that are under contract with Stephens College and provide approved commercial services
Upon establishing her status as an alumna (by providing a social security number or other identifying facts), an individual may request contact information for up to three individuals. Requests for contact information on more than three individuals must be made to the Stephens College Office of Development and Alumnae Relations in writing, stating the reason for requested information. No information will be released for those records coded “Do Not Release” indicating the alumna has requested that personal information remain restricted. In some cases, the alumna whose information is being requested may be contacted by the Office of Development and Alumnae Relations and provided with the contact information of the individual who has made the request.
All requests from other parties seeking information on another person will be forwarded to that person.
All requests for information from members of the media must be referred to the college’s Office of Development and Alumnae Relations and will be forwarded to the Office of Marketing and Public Relations.
Since federal law restricts the amount of information that may be released on current students, no information on students will be released by the Office of Development and Alumnae Relations. Requests for such information should be forwarded to the office of the Dean of Students. An exception shall be made for students who are the recipients of privately funded scholarships and have signed a release form stating that their name, major, and home town may be forwarded to scholarship representatives.
In cases of dispute about whether an organization or individual has a legitimate affiliation with the college or needs to have access to alumnae/friend information, the final decision will rest with the Vice President for Development and Alumnae Relations or his/her designee.
The following is information that may be released by the Stephens College Office Development and Alumnae Relations:
- Full name, including maiden or birth name
- Residential address and phone number
- Degrees awarded by Stephens College
- Job title, employer name, address and telephone number
- E-mail address
In addition to the “standard” information noted above, information provided to volunteer or alumnae constituent groups and internal units of the college may include some of the following elements on a “need-to-know” basis:
- Student activities
- Alumnae activities
- Family information
- Degrees obtained from other institutions
- Contact report information
- Gift/Pledge or other financial data (strictly restricted to development activities)
The college may at any time contract the services of outside vendors to process information or conduct college-approved commercial endeavors. All vendors must agree to the following:
- The vendor agrees to use the information only for the purposes intended by the college. The sale or transfer of the information by the vendor is strictly prohibited.
- If the project in question results in the publication of an alumnae directory, the vendor must provide to each individual who might be included within the publication an opportunity to exclude information pertaining to the identity of their children.
- The vendor agrees to the prompt return of any college-owned computer tapes, electronic software, or other documents provided in fulfillment of the contract.
- In all cases involving the use of outside vendors or contractors, the absolute confidentiality of the information provided is the responsibility of the requestor.
with the Information Release Policy
Failure to abide by any of the policies stated within this document may result in the denial of access to information maintained within the college’s computer system. Requests for re-instatement of access to this information must be approved by the Vice President for Development and Alumnae Relations or his/her designee.
"I, the undersigned, have read and understand the Alumnae and Friends Records Information Release Policy Statement of Stephens College. I agree to use any information provided for the approved college program(s) as stated above. Furthermore, I understand that the use of the information for political purposes or non-approved commercial purposes is strictly prohibited."
Requestor/Print Name ______________________________
Approved by/Print Name ___________________________