Home-schooled students submit the appropriate application for admission, whether it a freshman, transfer or international application, and we encourage you to submit your application for admission. As a small private college for women, Stephens offers the individual attention and intimate learning environment you have enjoyed at home. The campus is within walking distance of downtown Columbia.
Stephens uses the same criteria to evaluate home-schooled applicants as we do for all other students; but we also recognize that you have a distinctive academic background. Please approach your application with the intention of providing us with a complete picture of your preparation for college. You are welcome to present supplemental items to your application file. Below are a few recommendations.
Required Application Materials
- Complete an application (the non-refundable $25 application fee is waived for applications completed online, or you may request a paper copy of the application)
- Provide a transcript from an accredited home schooling program. If a transcript is not available, please provide a detailed list of your academic coursework at the high school level.
- Submit scores from nationally recognized standardized tests (ACT or SAT)
- Submit a letter of recommendation from an individual such as an employer, pastor or coach - someone who isn't related to you.
Encouraged Supplemental Opportunities
- In addition to the required admission application essay, you are welcome to provide other formally presented work that demonstrates your academic abilities
- Provide a short narrative, written by the person primarily responsible for your academic training, describing the nature of your secondary-level education. This document is not a recommendation, but a description of your instruction in recent years.
- Schedule a visit to our campus for a tour and a meeting with your admissions counselor.
To apply for scholarships, there is no separate application form. This application and supporting materials you submit will be used to determine your eligibility.
To apply for need-based financial aid (grants, work study, loans, federal money and state money) please complete the FAFSA. The code for Stephens College is 002512.